July 4, 2014
I’m late posting today but so it goes sometimes :) The weekend is officially here and although our sunshine is apparently going to disappear for a little while (boo!), I’ve got some bright inspiration and link love to share with you today:
1. Loving the combination of vintage and modern in this colourful vignette, not to mention that beautiful painting :Photo by Eve Wilson | Produced by Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.
2. Laundry is my least favourite chore but how fun is this cheerful utility room? Check out the DIY vinyl tile flooring tutorial over at A Beautiful Mess:DIY vinyl tile floors by A Beautiful Mess
3. Nothing says “party” like a good garland and these giant paper beads are pretty darn great…I don’t think I’d ever take them down actually :DIY Giant Paper “Bead” Garland by Oh Happy Day
4. I love a good colour punch in an otherwise neutral space and these bold yellow chairs are no exception…they remind me of a modern take on old Sunday school chairs, no? :Gus Modern via Design Milk
5. It’s happy hour somewhere, right? This trio of summery cocktails look too yummy not to try and I’m intrigued by the watermelon jalapeño comination:3 Fresh Holiday Cocktails by Design Love Fest
We don’t have many plans this weekend but will be hanging with some friends and hitting the beach (if the rain stays away) before bringing Gabe to camp on Sunday. What about you, any exciting getaways in your cards? Happy weekend!
July 2, 2014
Happy July to you! The sun is shining and it officially feels like summer here on the West Coast, hooray! I’ve been laying low the past couple of weeks while recovering from a surgery and I must admit it’s been a lot harder being home and doing nothing than I thought it would be! I’ve read a couple of books as well as 3 months worth of magazine subscriptions, have caught up on all my favourite Netflix series’ and streamed several others but my brain is feeling slightly numb from an over-indulgence in entertainment news and a serious Instagram addiction. Brad took time off work to help me out (thank goodness) and he’s not one to sit still so got a great start on open shelves in our living room and backyard landscaping but it’s been pretty frustrating to just sit back and watch! I’m resting lots and feeling more mobile every day and although I’ll still be taking it easy for at least a few more weeks, I’ll hopefully start phasing in a day or two very soon. Have any of you ever been physically forced to come to a full “stop” in life? It’s been very good for me in a lot of ways and I definitely have a renewed appreciation (not to mention a very grateful heart) for good health. I have had plenty of time to browse for decorating inspiration for our new house and I can’t wait to bring in some potted plants and florals, especially now that my get-well bouquets are starting to fade. They bring so much life to a room, don’t you think? Here are some great floral looks, perfect for summer or all year round:Artist Laura Jones’ studio | Photo by Rachel Kara for The Design Files. Gostco Design & Lifestyle via Vtwonen Photo by Helen Norman for Country Living DIY hanging shelf | Vtwonen via Poppytalk Photo by Idha Lindhag via SF Girl by Bay
Pretty, right? I’m off now (slowly!) to meet up with my Spruce partners for our weekly meeting (which never feel like work, by the way!) before a couple of good friends come over for a quiet girls night tonight, can’t wait! Being home so long with the family has been great but I’m definitely ready to shake off this cabin-fever and get back into the social swing of things! Hope you’re having a great week so far and I’ll be back to chat on Friday :)
June 18, 2014
Happy Wednesday! I’m sharing some link love early this week as I’m heading in for surgery first thing tomorrow morning and imagine I’ll be pretty groggy for the next few days. It will be very strange to be out of commission and in recovery for the next couple of weeks but it will also give me time to finally plan our Summer holidays and I’ll have a chance to catch up on Game of Thrones and Orange is the New Black! Not to sure when I’ll feel up to blogging but here are some links that have inspired me this week:
1. This photo simply feels like summer to me, as does much of Joanna Henderson beautiful photography:
2. My recipe “file” is a complete mess and it’s high time copy my favourite dishes onto pretty cards like these… they’re free to download here!
3. I’m so in love with the photos that Mikaela Ruth Photography snapped of our extended Spruce family last week and you can see more here on our shop blog, if you’re curious about more of the story behind Spruce Collective:
4. Emma’s new baskets are a genius idea for storage…now to find fishing baskets from Madagascar for my own home!
5. Are you following Cartolina stationery designer Fiona Richards (fionacartolina) or her husband Doug Jones (riderjones) on Instagram? If not, start now because they’re in the midst of an absolutely incredible renovation of their first retail store in Nelson, BC, transforming a dingy Chinese restaurant into a heritage dream of a storefront…the before pics are mind-blowing! I cannot wait to visit later this Summer when we make the trek out to Brad’s family cabin in the Kootneys…road trip!
Cartolina retail, opening July 2014
That’s all for now! Wish me luck (and hopefully a speedy recovery!) and I’ll be back to chat very soon :) xo
June 16, 2014
Well, I’m officially beat. Last week and this weekend totally kicked my a$$ …3 parties at our house is just a little too much for this mama, especially with Brad away camping all weekend, but I survived and I’m ready to attempt another busy week ahead. The schools are on full strike now so all working parents in BC are in extreme juggling mode but so far I’ve got childcare somewhat lined up…I think. Despite the juggling act and sad moments that school got cut short (as in ended suddenly…we didn’t even get to say goodbye!), it does feel good to ease into Summer mode and less driving is always a good thing. My nerves are feeling somewhat on edge after organizing events, schedules and babysitting and I could sure use a peaceful moment, how about you? Now you know I love a good home conversion (see here, here and here) and I can’t imagine a more serene home than a church! This Australian church was originally built in the 1800′s and was operational until only 10 years ago before being converted into a cozy family home, full of vintage treasures and modern conveniences:Photographer: Sean Fennessy, Producer: Lucy Feagins, Source: The Design Files via Domaine
On a personal note, I’m going in for surgery on Thursday and I’m feeling pretty nervous about the whole thing. It’s not serious (as in it’s not a medical emergency but all surgery is fairly serious I suppose!) and I won’t go into details now but I will be in recovery-mode over the next few weeks so you might see a lot less of me…or more, depending on how bored I get! Despite the recovery side of things, it will be nice to put my feet up and finally read that stack (as in 12!) of magazine subscriptions that I haven’t had a chance to read yet, not to mention getting in some serious cuddle/book reading/movie watching time with my kiddos. I’ll be back to chat on Wednesday but have a great start to your week :)
June 13, 2014
Happy Friday! Sorry for the silence this week, man I’m slacking at this blogging thing! Ah well, life has been feeling a little disorganized lately and my week was full of birthday fun for our sweet Lilah and a fun family photo shoot with my Spruce girls all mixed in with sick kids and attempting to get at least some actual work done! But despite the busy-ness of the week, I did manage to make my way out to the Vancouver Art Gallery yesterday to get a sneak peek at the new Poppytalk line of outdoor goods for Target and it’s pretty darn adorable! Check it out:
Jan & Earl (the wife/husband duo behind Poppytalk) did such a fantastic job designing the line and items will be available in store on June 22nd (my birthday!)…most of the line will even be available in Canada too, yay! Starting at $3, I can’t think of a cuter way to dress up my patio this Summer! I’m even using some of the paper bowls I got at the launch for Lilah’s friend-birthday party today and they are just perfect! I’m off to entertain 6 six-year-olds…wish me luck and have a great weekend :)