September 6, 2013
Well, we made it through the first week of school and I think we’re getting the hang of being back in the swing of things, for now anyway! Things will be much more regular by next Wednesday when Kindergarten has it’s official first full day…I’ve been driving to and from the kids’ school like a mad woman 3 times a day with the current staggered entry…and it will be bliss to accomplish at least a few uninterrupted hours of work each day. If you have kiddos, how are you handling the back-to-school shuffle? And if you don’t have kids or they’ve already left the nest…well, just be sure you’re enjoying a cocktail or two somewhere mah-velous for me ;) In the midst of all of my taxi-ing, here are some links I loved this week:
1. This new wall decal, designed by + available at Oh Hello Friend:
2. Absolutely coveting Emma’s new barstools:
3. Excited to be a part of a long table dinner later this month at a local farm. I’m imagining it will look something like this:
4. These newly cool evenings are perfect for campfires…and s’mores of course! This camp inspired meal was recently shot for Kinfolk:
5. I’ve been giving my liver a little post-summer break but think I’ll be due for a cocktail like this at some point over the weekend:
Rose Wine Cocktail by A Fabulous Fete
We’re off to friends’ wedding this weekend, which will be lots of fun, but other than that, don’t have much on the agenda. How about you? We’re all a little sleepy from all of the early mornings (or maybe it’s this strange stormy/humid weather?) so I’m hoping I’ll get a chance or two to sleep in…fingers crossed! Have a great weekend :)
September 4, 2013
Summer feels like it suddenly came to an end, don’t you think? I had a little twinge last night and felt like I didn’t have a proper chance to say goodbye. While we did manage to squeeze in one last beach day, ice cream cones and more warm-weather fun over the long weekend, I felt like I should at least pay some homage here on the blog to the lovely summer that we’re leaving behind. The kids went back to school yesterday (yaaayyy….oops, was that too enthusiastic? ;) and the weather suddenly flicked a switch, welcoming September with monsoon rains. Pretty dramatic after the past very sun-filled months! Although there is more sunshine in our forecast, one can’t help but notice the shorter days and cooler nights so before my focus switches to all things Autumn, here’s one last hurrah for Summer…
Seasons change and Fall is my favourite, hands down…what’s not to love about cozy sweaters, leather boots and the smell of woodsmoke in the crisp air?! Another exciting thing about this Fall is that Spruce Collective will be hosting The Urban Market at Highstreet on October 26th, 2013! (You can find plenty more info, including how to apply as a vintage or handmade vendor, over on our Spruce website (click here).) This event is a pretty big full-circle moment for us, considering that our passion for vintage + handmade markets is what brought us together in the first place. Not to mention we?re coming up to our 1-year store anniversary later this month?pretty darn special! In honour of our first anniversary, we?ll be throwing a big sneak peek party the night before our event which, if you live locally, you won?t want to miss!
It’s going to be a busy next few months but it already feels great to be getting back to our roots, so to speak. Do you have any big plans or life changes happening this next season? If so, I’d love to hear! Enjoy your day :)
August 30, 2013
Hello, friends! Just thought I’d pop in to let you know that I haven’t forgotten about you! It’s been another whirlwind of a week juggling kids and the shop but there is calm in sight…everyone’s off to school next week! Parents, shall we share in a collective sigh of relief? Phewf. What a summer. It was full of sunshine, good friends + family, loads of time outdoors and plenty of projects at Spruce but now it’s high time to get organized, get back on schedule with bedtime/meals/fitness and order in general. Our basement tenants moved out last weekend, nearly doubling our living/play space (yahoo!) so we’ve got plenty of home projects to dig in too, starting with a whole lot of white paint! We’re all pretty excited to spread out and stop tripping over each other. With organization on my mind, I thought I’d share this recent project by the talented team over at Jessica Helgerson Interior Design…
Jessica is so creative with storage and built in shelving, using every nook and cranny to best advantage. Remember her tiny house? So amazing. Well, I’m off to work for the day while my kids get wet at the water slides with my parents…squeezing in every last moment of summer :) Happy Labour Day!
August 20, 2013
Hi all! Just here to say a quick hello before taking an impromptu break from the blog. The kids are back to school in 2 weeks and I’m feeling the need to enjoy the last of it with them after a busy summer juggling work and play. I’ll pop in sometime last week and will get back to regular posting soon after. In the meantime, you can see more of what I’ve been up to behind the scenes over at Spruce Collective. Enjoy your week!
August 16, 2013
Hey there! It’s Friday once again and after another full week, I’m excited to be heading South of the border for some vintage treasure hunting with a couple of my Spruce girls, Elisa + Jessica. We’ve got some BIG plans for the shop (that I can’t wait to share…hang in there!) and, to prepare for the bustling months ahead, I’ve been busy ordering new stock for Fall and, gulp, The Holidays. I know, I know, forgive me for uttering those words but in the retail world, the holiday season is just around the corner. Here are some fantastic products that caught my eye this week:
1. Brand new Cartolina iPhone 4+5 cases, including this nautical beauty, should be arriving at Spruce Collective today! I wish I could be there to open the package (one of my fave parts of the job!) but you can see more of Fiona’s beautiful designs over at her bright + shiny new website (click here):
2. This duck-footed mirror is killing me…so awesome! There’s no source attached on the Style at Home link but this mirror from Rejuvenation looks like it could be the same one. What do you think about this gilded number? Too cute or too much? The bathroom renovation is pretty impressive too:
Style at Home. Photo by Virginia MacDonald.
3. I’m such a sucker for inspirational prints like this one by Nan Lawson. And yes, I was one of those girls with endless Radiohead lyrics doodled all over her binder in high school! I may or may not still jot down my favourite tunes:
4. Vintage botanical prints are pretty high up there on my ultimate score list but I’d be just as thrilled to hang one of these art prints by Vol.25 on my wall. Isn’t this one featuring minerals + gems gorgeous? Be sure to check out her Etsy shop (click here)…I found it next to impossible to pick a favourite!
5. Dahlhaus ceramics have been a long-time favourite of mine and I finally got to meet artist Heather Dahl when she popped into Spruce a couple of weeks ago. Just as sweet as I thought she’d be and I can’t wait to restock more of her lovely pieces, including these graphic vases, very soon:
Well, off I go to meet the girls for a quick Starbucks run before we caravan our 3 vehicles down to Snohomish, WA. You can follow our journeys and treasure hunting over on my Instagram feed and I’ll be sure to share some tidbits here on the blog next week. Wish us luck…I’m hopeful they’ll each be filled to the brim before we make our way home on Saturday night! Have a wonderful weekend :)
ps. I just added these tunes to my road trip playlist…enjoy!