Category — Project + DIY
This week has been a bit bumpy so I’m really glad it’s Friday again! I feel like I’ve been fighting off a head cold, which makes sense since my kids have been alternating sick days, and a foggy head on top of my usual work load and the dreaded tax season (seriously, why do always leave it so late!) add up to some serious brain drain. But I’m shaking off the cobwebs and heading into the city tonight to meet some girlfriends for a night out, the perfect remedy! On an exciting note, a Hallmark movie will be shooting on location at my store, Spruce Collective, starting on Sunday! We’ll be closed for 5 days while they take over (I can’t wait to see how they transform the space overnight, literally!) and it’s a fun little burst of fame for our block in Downtown Abbotsford. I wonder if they need any extras?? Here are some links I’ve loved this week:
1. I’m feeling the urge to learn a new skill and calligraphy is right at the top of my list! I’m super jealous of anyone with hand lettering skills and have been craving a hands-on creative outlet so a class like this one (held in San Francisco recently) looks pretty top notch:
2. Speaking of new skills, one of my big dreams (I have many, it’s a problem!) for the shop is to have a big studio/event space someday. This one in the UK would be perfect! Now if only I had a magic wand:
3. There is so much natural light flooding into this Belgian home. That combined with layers of texture and vintage furniture make it such a warm and welcoming space, especially the main living room:
Elle Decor. Photo by Richard Powers.
4. I enjoy baking much more than I do cooking (might just be the stage I’m in with the kiddos, skeptical looks and “ew!” is pretty common when I try new dinner dishes. Muffins and cookies are always a win!) and would love to expand my horizons with that skill set too. One of my favourite movies is It’s Complicated, especially that scene where Meryl Streep teaches Steve to bake chocolate croissants (so romantic, right?!) and I’ve wanted to learn how ever since. This Knead and Know croissant making class looks absolutely scrumptious:
5. It’s no secret that I love concrete floors but I’m generally drawn to the honed or Acid-stained variety. The high gloss floors of this Danish home are so striking though, aren’t they? They become such a focal point for the space and almost look like water. Very cool:
What’s a weekend without music? Here are some new additions to my current playlist. Cheers :)
March 7, 2014 1 Comment
Hurray for the weekend! I’m feeling a little low on the energy scale this week, you know that feeling when you’re moving in slow motion and start several tasks without finishing any? Yeah, that’s me. But the weekend is here so I’m hoping to reboot and recharge before jumping into several creative projects, both at the shop and at home. Speaking of creative, my Spruce Collective girls and I recently filmed our first YouTube video (totally out of our comfort zone, fyi!) and I thought you might enjoy a little look behind the scenes in addition to some other links I loved this week:
1. Our first YouTube video for Spruce Collective!:
2. Although our own basement renos have slowed to a snail’s pace, I still love living vicariously through other peoples renovation adventures. Can’t wait to see the end result of Sarah‘s home and here’s a glimpse at her DIY studio in the meantime:
3. Winter can be a little lonely, can’t it? Especially when temperatures drop, brrr! But I can’t think of a better way to come out of hibernation than with a communal dinner like this one, attended by Shannon Eileen and hosted by Aran Goyoaga of Cannelle Et Vanille:
4. A big kitchen reno is high on my wish list but isn’t remotely realistic at this point in time (wah!) but I’m hoping to come up with a few creative and budget friendly tweaks to make it at least a teeny bit happier. Loving the concrete counters and open shelves in this small Dutch kitchen:
5. I love a good motivational quote and absolutely love this DIY “wallpaper” by blogger Marij Hessel! So awesome and sooo easy too, my kind of project!
Off I go to attempt at least somewhat of a productive day, wish me luck :) And have yourself a fabulous weekend too!
February 28, 2014 4 Comments
Happy Valentine’s Day! Love is in the air, as is the smell of fresh cupcakes, chocolate treats + cinnamon hearts! How will you be spending the day? I’m off to a breakfast brunch for a dear friend, then to work before picking up my sugar-filled kiddos. We don’t usually go out on V-day evening but will likely order in and snuggle up for a movie or two. Some love-inspired goodies that caught my eye this week:
1. These giant Valentine’s posters are simply awesome! 5 great printables to choose from over at Oh Happy Day:
2. This Etsy shop, North West Mid West, has some adorable finds, like these birch arrows and much more:
3. These leather pouches are pretty darling, aren’t they?:
5. Everything feels more festive with banners and bunting, doesn’t it?:
Off I go to kick off the day with mimosas and French Toast with some girlfriends, shouldn’t every Friday start that way? Hope your weekend is full of love, friendship and only good things :)
February 14, 2014 2 Comments
The past several weeks have been insanely hectic (to say the least) and although it’s Friday and I’ve got a fun weekend ahead (it’s our last weekend of The Urban Market and we’re headed to an Ugly Sweater Party on Saturday night), I must admit that I’m really (like, really) looking forward to Monday. Not like there’s anything exceptionally special about Monday, there’s just nothing on my calendar for Monday! Odds are good that it will end up being just as busy as any other day but sometimes you’ve just got to have a visual goal in mind to make it through the busy bits, right? Works for me ;) We’re officially halfway to Christmas Day and here are 5 festive faves that caught my eye this week:
1. Loving this Scandinavian table, especially the sheepskin chair covers:
2. This DIY marquee lighting pretty much sums up all things Merry & Bright:
3. I’m super envious of anyone blessed with beautiful hand lettering skills (ahem, yes I’m talking to you Jessica!) and Lindsay Letters has some fabulous prints for the Holidays and beyond. (But seriously, I’m pretty sure it was supposed to be my great talent, I just got missed somehow)
4. There’s no excuse for wobbly card tables over the Holidays, not after seeing this adorable kids table:
5. I have no idea when I’m going to get any Christmas baking done (maybe when the kids are out of school?) but these Peppermint Chocolate Crackles look pretty darn delicious:
Peppermint Chocolate Crackles by Say Yes to Hoboken
Ok, off I go to run the kiddos to school and get things set up for The Urban Market but have yourself a wonderful weekend and I’ll be back to chat on Monday (ah, glorious Monday ;)! Cheers!
December 13, 2013 2 Comments
Man, this Holiday season is ticking right along, isn’t it? I’ve made a decent dent in my Christmas shopping but still have a ways to go, how about you? Things looked pretty festive this week with a fresh dusting of snow too. Not enough for a snow day or driving headaches, just enough to make everything look magical! Brad and I are sticklers for a freshly cut tree in our house but I know not everyone has the space for a full grown Christmas tree. When the kiddos were toddlers, we chose smaller tabletop versions of Herr Tannenbaum (to keep little hands from pulling down ornaments) and I really loved how easily they fit into our home decor. Presents actually displayed better too, piled under the table, so I thought I’d share a variety of petite trees perfect for spaces large or small:
Cute, right? We have a mini tree for the kids set up on our dining room credenza this year (to avoid any arguments as to who’s bedroom it should belong in!) and it’s full of bright baubles and handmade trinkets that they’ve made over the years. They love it (I do too!) and are always rearranging the snow globes and other decorations underneath. Hope you’re having a great week so far!
December 11, 2013 2 Comments