Category — Project + DIY
This week has left me more than a little brain fried. Finishing up tax season for both the shop (ouch!) and our personal taxes while sorting out mortgage details for our new townhouse have left my head spinning with numbers and I can’t wait for the weekend ahead. The sun is supposed to shine and temperatures will be warm, the perfect time to hang with friends and BBQ tomorrow and then we’ll be celebrating Gabe’s 11th birthday with family on Sunday. Eleven. How do I have an almost teenager? Jeepers, time flies! I haven’t had much time to scour my have blogs recently but here are a few links I’ve loved this week:
1. The Pender Island home is beyond breathtaking, as are the views and trees surrounding it. One day I’ll live by the sea:
2. Loving this DIY galaxy wall for a small bathroom. Might have to try something similar in our new townhouse’s powder room:
DIY Galaxy Wall by A Beautiful Mess
3. Eva Juliet‘s family trees are so beautiful. The perfect gift for Mother’s Day, don’t you think?
4. I love me some quirky art and this entire home is filled with it along with plenty of other bright, unexpected touches:
The Design Files. Photo by Eve Wilson.
5. You know those recipe photos that instantly make your tummy growl? Yeah, this was one of them:
Coconut Chess Pie recipe by Crazy for Crust
I made a little mixed tape for a few of the friends we’ll see this weekend to kick off the start of BBQ season. Here are a few of my favourite tunes this week. Have a great weekend, hope it includes plenty of sunshine, fun and a cold drink or two!
April 11, 2014 6 Comments
It suddenly feels like Spring, doesn’t it? Maybe it’s the whole “Springing forward” time change or seeing buds starting to bloom but whatever it is, I’m ready for it! The last of the snow has melted (knock on wood!) and I even left the house without a jacket yesterday, risky after the torrential downpours, I know but it feels great to start shedding layers. The changing of seasons is the perfect time to switch things up on the decor side of things and I always love seeing unexpected pops of colour. Art, rugs and quirky vintage finds are my favourite ways to inject bold hues into my own house and here are some other bright ideas:
I came across the above Jenny Highsmith print recently and immediately ordered a copy for each of my Spruce partners (and more to sell in our shop, they’ll be in stock later this week!) and cannot wait to hang mine up at home! It’s been mildly shocking how often we’re asked “how on earth can five women be in business together?!” (generally accompanied by a skeptical laugh) and even more shocking that the question is most frequently asked by other women. I don’t suppose that certain reality shows have done us any favours and although it’s really unfortunate that some people find it easier to visualize cat fighting brawls instead of creative collaboration, I’m extremely thankful that this quote sums up the reality of our collective experience at Spruce! I truly hope that it’s reflective of your own relationships with women as well. Happy International Women’s Day, by the way :)
Whether your budget is big (lucky you!) or small (I can relate), it doesn’t take much to add a little taste of Spring to your space. Bright blooms are always a great place to start (tulips are my fave) and I’ve framed everything from postcards and book pages to tea towels and wallpaper scraps, cheap and easy! Do you adjust your colour scheme with changing seasons? If so, I’d love to hear your own tips and tricks. Chat soon!
March 10, 2014 1 Comment
This week has been a bit bumpy so I’m really glad it’s Friday again! I feel like I’ve been fighting off a head cold, which makes sense since my kids have been alternating sick days, and a foggy head on top of my usual work load and the dreaded tax season (seriously, why do always leave it so late!) add up to some serious brain drain. But I’m shaking off the cobwebs and heading into the city tonight to meet some girlfriends for a night out, the perfect remedy! On an exciting note, a Hallmark movie will be shooting on location at my store, Spruce Collective, starting on Sunday! We’ll be closed for 5 days while they take over (I can’t wait to see how they transform the space overnight, literally!) and it’s a fun little burst of fame for our block in Downtown Abbotsford. I wonder if they need any extras?? Here are some links I’ve loved this week:
1. I’m feeling the urge to learn a new skill and calligraphy is right at the top of my list! I’m super jealous of anyone with hand lettering skills and have been craving a hands-on creative outlet so a class like this one (held in San Francisco recently) looks pretty top notch:
2. Speaking of new skills, one of my big dreams (I have many, it’s a problem!) for the shop is to have a big studio/event space someday. This one in the UK would be perfect! Now if only I had a magic wand:
3. There is so much natural light flooding into this Belgian home. That combined with layers of texture and vintage furniture make it such a warm and welcoming space, especially the main living room:
Elle Decor. Photo by Richard Powers.
4. I enjoy baking much more than I do cooking (might just be the stage I’m in with the kiddos, skeptical looks and “ew!” is pretty common when I try new dinner dishes. Muffins and cookies are always a win!) and would love to expand my horizons with that skill set too. One of my favourite movies is It’s Complicated, especially that scene where Meryl Streep teaches Steve to bake chocolate croissants (so romantic, right?!) and I’ve wanted to learn how ever since. This Knead and Know croissant making class looks absolutely scrumptious:
5. It’s no secret that I love concrete floors but I’m generally drawn to the honed or Acid-stained variety. The high gloss floors of this Danish home are so striking though, aren’t they? They become such a focal point for the space and almost look like water. Very cool:
What’s a weekend without music? Here are some new additions to my current playlist. Cheers :)
March 7, 2014 2 Comments
Hurray for the weekend! I’m feeling a little low on the energy scale this week, you know that feeling when you’re moving in slow motion and start several tasks without finishing any? Yeah, that’s me. But the weekend is here so I’m hoping to reboot and recharge before jumping into several creative projects, both at the shop and at home. Speaking of creative, my Spruce Collective girls and I recently filmed our first YouTube video (totally out of our comfort zone, fyi!) and I thought you might enjoy a little look behind the scenes in addition to some other links I loved this week:
1. Our first YouTube video for Spruce Collective!:
2. Although our own basement renos have slowed to a snail’s pace, I still love living vicariously through other peoples renovation adventures. Can’t wait to see the end result of Sarah‘s home and here’s a glimpse at her DIY studio in the meantime:
3. Winter can be a little lonely, can’t it? Especially when temperatures drop, brrr! But I can’t think of a better way to come out of hibernation than with a communal dinner like this one, attended by Shannon Eileen and hosted by Aran Goyoaga of Cannelle Et Vanille:
4. A big kitchen reno is high on my wish list but isn’t remotely realistic at this point in time (wah!) but I’m hoping to come up with a few creative and budget friendly tweaks to make it at least a teeny bit happier. Loving the concrete counters and open shelves in this small Dutch kitchen:
5. I love a good motivational quote and absolutely love this DIY “wallpaper” by blogger Marij Hessel! So awesome and sooo easy too, my kind of project!
Off I go to attempt at least somewhat of a productive day, wish me luck :) And have yourself a fabulous weekend too!
February 28, 2014 4 Comments
Happy Valentine’s Day! Love is in the air, as is the smell of fresh cupcakes, chocolate treats + cinnamon hearts! How will you be spending the day? I’m off to a breakfast brunch for a dear friend, then to work before picking up my sugar-filled kiddos. We don’t usually go out on V-day evening but will likely order in and snuggle up for a movie or two. Some love-inspired goodies that caught my eye this week:
1. These giant Valentine’s posters are simply awesome! 5 great printables to choose from over at Oh Happy Day:
2. This Etsy shop, North West Mid West, has some adorable finds, like these birch arrows and much more:
3. These leather pouches are pretty darling, aren’t they?:
5. Everything feels more festive with banners and bunting, doesn’t it?:
Off I go to kick off the day with mimosas and French Toast with some girlfriends, shouldn’t every Friday start that way? Hope your weekend is full of love, friendship and only good things :)
February 14, 2014 2 Comments