Category — Home Decor
Hey, friends! We’re heading into the final long weekend of Summer and I must admit I’m not happy about it. I feel like we just got into our beach-touring groove and then suddenly the days got shorter and the evenings got cooler…noooo! Like all good things, even Summer must end but I won’t give up our beach days without a fight. We’re heading out for a weekend of camping with friends tomorrow (or the next day, weather dependant) and I’m still overly optimistic that the soggy forecast is wrong…the sun will burn off those huge clouds, right? Still no word if school is starting next week as teachers have been on strike since June, (ugh!) which is leaving us in somewhat of a limbo. Love our teachers but the kiddos have been home long enough. Seriously. But onto brighter things, these beauties caught my eye this week because, I mean, how could they not?!
1. I immediately downloaded this awesome desktop theme from Design Love Fest as soon as I saw it. Can you tell I’m ready to get back to work?
2. Red Envelope sent me this awesome dipped serving bowl and matching utensils as a housewarming present and it’s been a bright spot on our table all summer! It also comes in an amazing emerald green colour and is on mega sale right now…check it out here:
3. We’ve been in the height of wedding season with our Spruce Vintage Rentals division of the shop so I’m always on the lookout for fresh event inspiration and this floral chandelier is seriously the bomb…love!!
4. I’m beyond thrilled (and entirely envious of her talents, in a good way!) that my partner Jessica just launched an amazing line of illustrated prints in her shiny new shop, Acorn Atelier. I need one of each, no joke!
5. I’ll need a good detox after this summer of fun but the good news is that it’s technically summer for a few more weeks and this cocktail looks divine…bottoms up ;)
Do you have big plans for this last Labour Day hurrah? Enjoy, be safe and cheers to the freakin’ weekend…I’ll drink to that ;)
* Disclaimer : I was gifted this beautiful serving bowl set from Red Envelope but all opinions are my own…and always will be :)
August 29, 2014 0 Comments
Oh. My. How’s that for dropping off the radar?! I didn’t mean to take such a huge blogging hiatus (at all!) but we got into a pretty good Summer groove over here and I think I really just needed a good break from the world wide web. I was starting to feel like all of the creative wonderfulness out there was just starting to blend together (you know, like when too many well-dressed people are in a room together and no one truly stands out) and have quite honestly been in quite the creative slump…can anyone relate? I think I’m coming out of it (I’ve finally started hanging art around our house and had a lot of fun styling a recent shoot for the shop) but I’ve definitely pulled back from social media and Pinterest over the past few months to try and clear my head. While I still have a mild Instagram addiction, I’m determined to fill more of my spare time with reading actual books instead of scrolling through endless images and I’d really love to pick up a new skill or two in the year to come. But I do need to find myself a cozy reading corner to coax me into sitting down and I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for a vintage hanging chair. Pretty sure my kiddos would soon take it over but a girl can dream! Here are some beauties that have caught my eye:
Cozy, right? Can you recommend any good books that you read over the summer? My friend Julia gave me The Orphan Master’s Son and it was really great…dark at times but super interesting. And is there a skill that you’d like to learn to retrain your tech-addicted brain? I’ve got calligraphy and learning to play guitar on my short-term bucket list for now. Thanks for checking in and I’ll be back to chat again soon :)
August 25, 2014 1 Comment
Hello again! I’m back, just in time for the weekend…perfect timing ;) We had an awesome time away at our friends’ island cabin last weekend but it’s been back to real life/work/kids this week. Coming back from holidays is always a bit of a downer, right? It’s been raining too, which hasn’t helped, but there’s sunshine in the forecast and I’m hoping to sit lakeside/riverside/poolside somewhere (anywhere!) with the kiddos over the next few days. I’d also like to finally unpack the last of our moving boxes because our empty walls are starting to feel a little scary. Not sure what my deal is this time ’round (seriously, it’s been over 2 months since we moved in!) but it’s high time I break out of my decorating slump and get this show on the road! These impressive makeovers did help me feel some motivation this week:
1. Jordan’s dining room makeover makes a solid argument for painting out wood, beautiful though it may be:Dining Room Makeover | Oh Happy Day | Photo by Paul Ferney
2. I love everything about this black + white bathroom renovation, especially the floors:29th Ave Bathroom Makeover | Capree Kimball via Poppytalk
3. This desert patio space is simply made for entertaining:Patio Makeover | A House in the Hills
5. My Instagram feed was full of this incredible space, Lombardi House, last night. It’s a new event venue in Hollywood (naturally)…so amazing!Lombardi House
5. Dana’s mudroom turned dining/laundry/everything room is the perfect combination of form meets function for busy family living:Mudroom Makeover | House Tweaking
Any projects or home renos in your future? Or are you putting them off like I am? Summer’s a tough one…sometimes it’s just easier to pour another cocktail than it is to hang a picture, just sayin’! Cheers to the weekend :)
July 25, 2014 3 Comments
Man, this week went fast…anyone else feel the same? After being out of commission for the past several weeks, I’ve been so happy to be feeling better that I packed a tonne into the last few days, maybe even a bit too much judging by how late the kiddos have been sleeping in! Our weather has just been so awesome that it felt like a shame to miss out on being outdoors for even a moment! My girls were in gymnastics camp each afternoon too (fun for them but a lot of extra running around for me) and I’m looking forward to unplugging and enjoying some downtime this weekend. We’re heading off to our friends’ cabin on Lasqueti Island and cannot wait! It’s rustic and off the grid but there’s nothing like being by the ocean to recharge, agreed? Before we head for the ferry, here are some links I’ve loved this week:
1. I’ve always been a sucker for anything indigo (my collection of mismatched blue and white china is a little out of hand) and these DIY placemats by Lovely Indeed would look right at home on my dining table:DIY Indigo Shibori Dyed Placemats | Lovely Indeed Manhattan Nest | Rifle Paper Co. Pineapple Wallpaper
3. How awesome is this DIY Modern Cooler makeover by Almost Makes Perfect? I feel like I should make one of these for every beach-loving friend I know:DIY Modern Cooler | Almost Makes Perfect
4. We’ve had the same pine sleigh bed since we got married 13 years ago and I am so over it. I don’t want to pay a tonne on a new bed frame and haven’t found any new and exciting DIY headboard ideas but this bed frame project by Apartment Therapy looks simple, quick and super cheap to do…just my style! :DIY Upholstered Bed Frame | Apartment Therapy
5. I spotted this adorable home tour over on A Beautiful Mess and after the busy week I’ve had, can totally picture curling up under this amazing quilt:Home of Elizabeth Morrow | A Beautiful Mess
We’re heading out first thing tomorrow for a few days of swimming in the sea and campfire cookouts so I’ll be back to chat sometime middle of next week. Cheers!
July 18, 2014 4 Comments
The Summer heat finally kicked in and I’m loving it! I’m still taking things pretty easy after my surgery a few weeks ago but I’m feeling much more like myself and I cannot wait to get back to my usual activities, work and family fun. This “relaxing” business has been far more difficult than I thought it would be and I’m eager to get on with things, including finally decorating our new house. West Elm sent me a press kit for some of their new arrivals and I’m really loving the retro-meets-global vibe they’ve got going on for Fall, with price points for every budget too! Here are some pieces that I would be more than happy to bring home:West Elm | Mid Century Glass Pendant West Elm | Ladder Bookshelf West Elm | Ainslie Sofa West Elm | Mini Smeg Fridge (arriving Fall 2014) West Elm | Hand Blocked Stepped Diamond Pillow Cover West Elm | Arriving Fall 2014
I’m crushing hard on all of these new finds (especially that pendant light…I kind of need it!) and how cute is that mini Smeg fridge?! Pretty sure I’d let Brad have 3 beer fridges if they all looked like that ;) Hope you’re keeping cool, enjoy your Wednesday!
July 9, 2014 1 Comment