Category — Flowers + Pretty Things
It suddenly feels like Spring, doesn’t it? Maybe it’s the whole “Springing forward” time change or seeing buds starting to bloom but whatever it is, I’m ready for it! The last of the snow has melted (knock on wood!) and I even left the house without a jacket yesterday, risky after the torrential downpours, I know but it feels great to start shedding layers. The changing of seasons is the perfect time to switch things up on the decor side of things and I always love seeing unexpected pops of colour. Art, rugs and quirky vintage finds are my favourite ways to inject bold hues into my own house and here are some other bright ideas:
I came across the above Jenny Highsmith print recently and immediately ordered a copy for each of my Spruce partners (and more to sell in our shop, they’ll be in stock later this week!) and cannot wait to hang mine up at home! It’s been mildly shocking how often we’re asked “how on earth can five women be in business together?!” (generally accompanied by a skeptical laugh) and even more shocking that the question is most frequently asked by other women. I don’t suppose that certain reality shows have done us any favours and although it’s really unfortunate that some people find it easier to visualize cat fighting brawls instead of creative collaboration, I’m extremely thankful that this quote sums up the reality of our collective experience at Spruce! I truly hope that it’s reflective of your own relationships with women as well. Happy International Women’s Day, by the way :)
Whether your budget is big (lucky you!) or small (I can relate), it doesn’t take much to add a little taste of Spring to your space. Bright blooms are always a great place to start (tulips are my fave) and I’ve framed everything from postcards and book pages to tea towels and wallpaper scraps, cheap and easy! Do you adjust your colour scheme with changing seasons? If so, I’d love to hear your own tips and tricks. Chat soon!
March 10, 2014 0 Comments
This week has been a bit bumpy so I’m really glad it’s Friday again! I feel like I’ve been fighting off a head cold, which makes sense since my kids have been alternating sick days, and a foggy head on top of my usual work load and the dreaded tax season (seriously, why do always leave it so late!) add up to some serious brain drain. But I’m shaking off the cobwebs and heading into the city tonight to meet some girlfriends for a night out, the perfect remedy! On an exciting note, a Hallmark movie will be shooting on location at my store, Spruce Collective, starting on Sunday! We’ll be closed for 5 days while they take over (I can’t wait to see how they transform the space overnight, literally!) and it’s a fun little burst of fame for our block in Downtown Abbotsford. I wonder if they need any extras?? Here are some links I’ve loved this week:
1. I’m feeling the urge to learn a new skill and calligraphy is right at the top of my list! I’m super jealous of anyone with hand lettering skills and have been craving a hands-on creative outlet so a class like this one (held in San Francisco recently) looks pretty top notch:
2. Speaking of new skills, one of my big dreams (I have many, it’s a problem!) for the shop is to have a big studio/event space someday. This one in the UK would be perfect! Now if only I had a magic wand:
3. There is so much natural light flooding into this Belgian home. That combined with layers of texture and vintage furniture make it such a warm and welcoming space, especially the main living room:
Elle Decor. Photo by Richard Powers.
4. I enjoy baking much more than I do cooking (might just be the stage I’m in with the kiddos, skeptical looks and “ew!” is pretty common when I try new dinner dishes. Muffins and cookies are always a win!) and would love to expand my horizons with that skill set too. One of my favourite movies is It’s Complicated, especially that scene where Meryl Streep teaches Steve to bake chocolate croissants (so romantic, right?!) and I’ve wanted to learn how ever since. This Knead and Know croissant making class looks absolutely scrumptious:
5. It’s no secret that I love concrete floors but I’m generally drawn to the honed or Acid-stained variety. The high gloss floors of this Danish home are so striking though, aren’t they? They become such a focal point for the space and almost look like water. Very cool:
What’s a weekend without music? Here are some new additions to my current playlist. Cheers :)
March 7, 2014 2 Comments
I’d hoped to feel rested up by today but somehow I’m not. No good excuse either! We were homebodies for most of the weekend, which felt great in a way but had it’s frustrating moments, including refereeing squabbling children. I feel like we’ve got so many projects that we want to do around our house but I’m holding back (or stuck) for a couple of reasons. A) Funds are tight and we just can’t tackle the big projects like flooring, kitchen, etc anytime soon and B) I’m just so freaking tired these days that I don’t know if I have the energy to finish even a little project! But I know that the latter is just a mildly lazy excuse and I’m perfectly capable of organizing a closet (or three) so I think I just need to make an actual goal list for the week to get some momentum going. Small projects, even simple ones, can make a world of difference and I’m the type of person who thrives on project planning. Thankfully, my store is the perfect creative outlet when I’m in a rut on the home front and we’ve got a few exciting projects in the works that I can’t wait to share. In the meantime, to coax Spring out of hiding here’s a collection of spaces + products featuring my current colour crush, aqua + green:
Cartolina (also available at Spruce Collective)
Isn’t there an old saying, “together blue and green should never be seen”? Well I totally disagree, obviously ;) Enjoy this soggy Monday!
March 3, 2014 2 Comments
I’m off like a shot today, finishing up some work at the store before doing the final prep for Sadie’s birthday party later this afternoon. But before I zip off, thank you so much for your encouraging comments and emails (and even a few in-person conversations) after my last post! Sounds like most of you can relate to being overwhelmed on the home front in some form or another and it was really great hearing about your own experiences, tips and advice for how to juggle family and work or, more importantly, when to realize you simply just can’t do it all. So true. I won’t be taking on any extra projects this weekend but if I were, I’d definitely try my hand at one of these Valentine’s-inspired DIY’s:
1. I love a good marquee letter sign and this one is so cute for V-Day, weddings or just about anywhere really:
2. There’s something especially lovely about the latest “naked” cake trend. Understated beauty is the best kind, isn’t it? I think so:
3. Speaking of beauty, Sunday Suppers is hosting a flower shop on Valentine’s Day (it’s in Brooklyn, NY) but I would love to learn how to make gorgeous “undone” bouquets like this one:
4. Oh, Emily Henderson. You, your style and your adorable baby have my heart (your husband’s ok, too ;) and this embossed pillow would be perfect for one of my girls’ bedrooms. How cute to make as a gift for friends:
5. I’ve got a minor thing for dishtowels these days, not super sure why, but I just ordered a tonne for the shop (shh, the invoice hasn’t arrived yet) and I don’t own any particularly nice ones of my own. So many would look great framed though and I think these DIY ones would be an especially thoughtful gift:
That’s all for now! Off I go but wish me luck entertaining nine 5-8 year-olds this afternoon (Advil and wine are ready) and have yourself a wonderful weekend! Stay warm :)
February 7, 2014 0 Comments
This week hasn’t felt especially “busy” per say but I must admit that I’m in a total rut when it comes to housework and home organization and it’s really bogging me down. Spending my days at the shop (which I love!) makes the afternoons of picking up kids, sporadic grocery shopping and frenzied dinner/homework/bedtimes a total rush/blur/cranky mess and I’ve pretty much been a cranky beast. I have got to get it under control (or at least manageable!) but I’m having a hard time getting out of my slump. It’s Sadie’s birthday this weekend so I
forced (ahem) pushed myself to finally hang a gallery wall in her room last night (something I would usually totally enjoy!) but I started too late, throwing off bedtime and my overall mood. But, silver lining, Sadie’s gallery wall looks great and I’m so glad I powered through. I just found this “Brave Girl” download that I’ll be printing off asap to add to it too, cute right? Since her room is mostly black, white + pink I thought the rest of these images were fitting too:
Free Printable by Danielle Burkleo
Any working moms or dads out there? Or worker bees in general? How on earth do you keep up appearances at home? My creative and renovation ambitions seem to leave themselves at Spruce these days and, let’s face it, I’m flipping’ tired by the time I get the kiddos in bed! But I generally do well under pressure and we’ve got 2 parties here this weekend so that’s motivation enough to hustle and get things somewhat in order. Just don’t open any closets if you happen to pop by for a visit! What motivates you to get sh#t done? Please share!
February 5, 2014 11 Comments