Category — Colour
Hey, friends! We’re heading into the final long weekend of Summer and I must admit I’m not happy about it. I feel like we just got into our beach-touring groove and then suddenly the days got shorter and the evenings got cooler…noooo! Like all good things, even Summer must end but I won’t give up our beach days without a fight. We’re heading out for a weekend of camping with friends tomorrow (or the next day, weather dependant) and I’m still overly optimistic that the soggy forecast is wrong…the sun will burn off those huge clouds, right? Still no word if school is starting next week as teachers have been on strike since June, (ugh!) which is leaving us in somewhat of a limbo. Love our teachers but the kiddos have been home long enough. Seriously. But onto brighter things, these beauties caught my eye this week because, I mean, how could they not?!
1. I immediately downloaded this awesome desktop theme from Design Love Fest as soon as I saw it. Can you tell I’m ready to get back to work?
2. Red Envelope sent me this awesome dipped serving bowl and matching utensils as a housewarming present and it’s been a bright spot on our table all summer! It also comes in an amazing emerald green colour and is on mega sale right now…check it out here:
3. We’ve been in the height of wedding season with our Spruce Vintage Rentals division of the shop so I’m always on the lookout for fresh event inspiration and this floral chandelier is seriously the bomb…love!!
4. I’m beyond thrilled (and entirely envious of her talents, in a good way!) that my partner Jessica just launched an amazing line of illustrated prints in her shiny new shop, Acorn Atelier. I need one of each, no joke!
5. I’ll need a good detox after this summer of fun but the good news is that it’s technically summer for a few more weeks and this cocktail looks divine…bottoms up ;)
Do you have big plans for this last Labour Day hurrah? Enjoy, be safe and cheers to the freakin’ weekend…I’ll drink to that ;)
* Disclaimer : I was gifted this beautiful serving bowl set from Red Envelope but all opinions are my own…and always will be :)
August 29, 2014 0 Comments
It’s no secret that green is my favourite colour but when it comes to saying which shade or tint of the hue is the peak of perfection, I’d be hard pressed to decide! While I love a good emerald or leafy green, the colours of the sea may be the ones that call to me most but there are so many variations (not to mention colour combinations) that I could never settle on just one. The best part about green is that it honestly goes with just about any decorating scheme. Don’t believe me? Nature is always the ultimate colour guide and green never looks out of place…Kinfolk Dinner | A Daily Something Photo by Tia Borgsmidt | Styling by Mette Helena Rasmussen | via Nordic Design Photo by Amanda Prior | Styling by Jessica Hanson | Inside Out Magazine via Poppytalk
How awesome is that Choose Your Own Adventure print? I hunted it down and it’s available here, along with some other awesome artwork and home decor…great site! Anyone remember reading those books? I loved them and think this quote (which just happens to be one of Brad’s favourites…he’s got a lot of one-liners ;) is a good reminder that we’re all capable of changing the course of our lives, one decision at a time. Here’s another amazing print from Blacklist:Don’t Give up the Ship print by Blacklist Honeydew Basil Spritzer | A House in the Hills
Mm, that cocktail looks refreshing doesn’t it? Mondays should always require an early happy hour start time, just saying ;) Cheers to a good week ahead!
July 7, 2014 2 Comments
I’m late posting today but so it goes sometimes :) The weekend is officially here and although our sunshine is apparently going to disappear for a little while (boo!), I’ve got some bright inspiration and link love to share with you today:
1. Loving the combination of vintage and modern in this colourful vignette, not to mention that beautiful painting :Photo by Eve Wilson | Produced by Lucy Feagins / The Design Files.
2. Laundry is my least favourite chore but how fun is this cheerful utility room? Check out the DIY vinyl tile flooring tutorial over at A Beautiful Mess:DIY vinyl tile floors by A Beautiful Mess
3. Nothing says “party” like a good garland and these giant paper beads are pretty darn great…I don’t think I’d ever take them down actually :DIY Giant Paper “Bead” Garland by Oh Happy Day
4. I love a good colour punch in an otherwise neutral space and these bold yellow chairs are no exception…they remind me of a modern take on old Sunday school chairs, no? :Gus Modern via Design Milk
5. It’s happy hour somewhere, right? This trio of summery cocktails look too yummy not to try and I’m intrigued by the watermelon jalapeño comination:3 Fresh Holiday Cocktails by Design Love Fest
We don’t have many plans this weekend but will be hanging with some friends and hitting the beach (if the rain stays away) before bringing Gabe to camp on Sunday. What about you, any exciting getaways in your cards? Happy weekend!
July 4, 2014 0 Comments
Happy July to you! The sun is shining and it officially feels like summer here on the West Coast, hooray! I’ve been laying low the past couple of weeks while recovering from a surgery and I must admit it’s been a lot harder being home and doing nothing than I thought it would be! I’ve read a couple of books as well as 3 months worth of magazine subscriptions, have caught up on all my favourite Netflix series’ and streamed several others but my brain is feeling slightly numb from an over-indulgence in entertainment news and a serious Instagram addiction. Brad took time off work to help me out (thank goodness) and he’s not one to sit still so got a great start on open shelves in our living room and backyard landscaping but it’s been pretty frustrating to just sit back and watch! I’m resting lots and feeling more mobile every day and although I’ll still be taking it easy for at least a few more weeks, I’ll hopefully start phasing in a day or two very soon. Have any of you ever been physically forced to come to a full “stop” in life? It’s been very good for me in a lot of ways and I definitely have a renewed appreciation (not to mention a very grateful heart) for good health. I have had plenty of time to browse for decorating inspiration for our new house and I can’t wait to bring in some potted plants and florals, especially now that my get-well bouquets are starting to fade. They bring so much life to a room, don’t you think? Here are some great floral looks, perfect for summer or all year round:Artist Laura Jones’ studio | Photo by Rachel Kara for The Design Files. Gostco Design & Lifestyle via Vtwonen Photo by Helen Norman for Country Living DIY hanging shelf | Vtwonen via Poppytalk Photo by Idha Lindhag via SF Girl by Bay
Pretty, right? I’m off now (slowly!) to meet up with my Spruce partners for our weekly meeting (which never feel like work, by the way!) before a couple of good friends come over for a quiet girls night tonight, can’t wait! Being home so long with the family has been great but I’m definitely ready to shake off this cabin-fever and get back into the social swing of things! Hope you’re having a great week so far and I’ll be back to chat on Friday :)
July 2, 2014 2 Comments
Happy Friday! Sorry for the silence this week, man I’m slacking at this blogging thing! Ah well, life has been feeling a little disorganized lately and my week was full of birthday fun for our sweet Lilah and a fun family photo shoot with my Spruce girls all mixed in with sick kids and attempting to get at least some actual work done! But despite the busy-ness of the week, I did manage to make my way out to the Vancouver Art Gallery yesterday to get a sneak peek at the new Poppytalk line of outdoor goods for Target and it’s pretty darn adorable! Check it out:
Jan & Earl (the wife/husband duo behind Poppytalk) did such a fantastic job designing the line and items will be available in store on June 22nd (my birthday!)…most of the line will even be available in Canada too, yay! Starting at $3, I can’t think of a cuter way to dress up my patio this Summer! I’m even using some of the paper bowls I got at the launch for Lilah’s friend-birthday party today and they are just perfect! I’m off to entertain 6 six-year-olds…wish me luck and have a great weekend :)
June 13, 2014 2 Comments