Category — Colour
Happy December to you! Are you feeling festive? I sure am! This weekend was a bit of a whirlwind but we had a great time hosting our first Holiday edition of The Urban Market (it’s hard not to get into the spirit of things when surrounded by handmade goodies, Christmas tunes and cheerful shoppers!) followed by a fun evening in with Rachel and her family (man, we’ve missed them!) and our annual trip to the tree farm (we found the perfect tree!). I haven’t had a chance to actually decorate yet but Brad hung up our outside lights and, guess what? I nixed our usual all white strands for bright colour this year!!! I know, totally unlike me but I found some ceramic coated lights at Target that just called out to me and I must admit, they’re pretty darn cheerful! The kids are begging for more lights in our trees now too so pretty sure I’ll be heading back for more :) Here are some more bright + cheery ideas for Christmas:
Have I mentioned that I’m heading to Alt Summit in January? Well, I AM!!! Surprise packages from sponsors and the Alt team keep arriving on my doorstep (so awesome!) including some gift wrapping notions from Minted and 10 free sheets of personalized wrapping paper, so fun! I chose this pretty Sugar & Spice paper and personalized it with my favourite pumpkin bread recipe. I don’t know how I’ll cut it up and actually use it for wrapping!
How do you decorate for the Holidays? Bright + bold or neutral + natural? I’m usually pretty neutral but have a feeling I’ll be brightening things up a little this year. Have a great day!
December 2, 2013 3 Comments
Hi there! How’s your week been? Good? Bad? Somewhere in-between? To be honest, mine’s been on the lower end of in-between, mainly because I’ve just got too much on the go. Between Christmas, The Urban Market and and several other fun events, we’ve got a tonne going on over at the shop. While it’s all manageable, I have had to miss out on a few school events this week and that darn mommy-guilt is quick to rise sometimes. I cannot do it all (there, I said it!) and often feel like I’m slacking in other areas of my life (mainly friends + family + fitness) while putting so much energy into the store. That being said, I love what I do and honestly believe that I’m setting a great example to my kiddos about working hard to create something of value. Life is a juggle, no matter what career or parenting path you take and some weeks all come down to survival of the fittest so I’d better keep up with my workouts :) But enough about me, here are some links to love this week and an exciting event at West Elm Market:
1. West Elm Market invited me + my Spruce Collective girls to do a vintage pop-up shop this weekend (how cool is that?!?) so if you’re in Vancouver, be sure to stop by and say hello this Sunday between 10-4pm, wahoo!
2. I love a good party favour and these Sea salt DIY‘s are too darling not to try:
3. I spotted Jamie Oliver’s new restaurant, Jamie’s Trattoria, over on Bright.Bazaar and am absolutely loving the eclectic and deconstructed design by Blacksheep, especially the unexpected pop art touches:
4. Sarah Samuel‘s new living room is a really great mix of mid-century and new. Especially loving that rug + the fun flamingo print!
5. This constellation runner DIY looks looks like a challenge for this non-sewer but is so beautiful, I might just be tempted to pick up a needle + thread. Maybe. One day. When I actually have time for a hobby. Sniff.
What are your plans this weekend? Please say sleeping in and relaxing. I’ll live vicariously through you! My days are full: styling a barn this morning, a wedding tonight, hosting a brunch in said barn early tomorrow, our West Elm event on Sunday and a birthday party later that evening, phew! I’m very thankful for Remembrance Day on Monday (in more ways than one) and will be offering bribes to all children who let me sleep in that morning! Stressful weeks call for constant tunes (in my car, anyway) so here are some regulars on my playlist this week. Have a wonderful weekend and I’ll be back to chat on Wednesday! x
November 8, 2013 3 Comments
I must admit I had a wee bit of writer’s block last night?too much on the go these days, I suppose! But busy though I may be, I love this little blog and the inspirational “me” time I get to put into it and it always feels like a bit of a treat to sit down and catch up on some favourite blogs and Pinterest. I’m seriously obsessed by pops of blue in home decor lately (especially navy) so thought I’d share a few bright bits that caught my eye…
A blue sofa for our living room (not super practical with a light, hairy dog but c’est la vie!) and navy lower kitchen cabinets are on the top of my indigo-inspired wish list (the top meaning I can’t stop thinking about them!). It’s funny, I always imagine myself to be a warm-colour person but when it comes down to the final decision, I tend to stick with blues and greens. How about you? Any blue in your home decor these days? Short and sweet today but I’ll be back to chat soon :)
November 6, 2013 10 Comments
Oh my. Not sure if this week could have been busier. And yet The Urban Market is coming up next week so, yep, it’s going to get a wee bit hectic around here! I’ve got a dozen lists on the go (literally) but so do my Spruce partners (thank God!) so I think we’re good to go. On top of our upcoming market, we’ve had several amazing opportunities come our way over the last few weeks (like this contest we’re hosting next month) and my weekends are almost all booked right up until Christmas, crazy! I cannot wait some of the other good things that have come our way but for now, I’ll stick with some of my favourite web links of the week…
1. This Sydney home is just killing it…texture, pattern and vintage treasures galore!
2. I really need a wingback chair like this one. It would be good to actually start reading books again too!
4. This kitchen couldn’t be brighter! Is that backsplash a window or a mirror? Either way, it’s genius.
5. This rustic floral arrangement from DIY is beyond gorgeous, enough said.
That’s all for now! I’m off to our market venue to help style our booth (it’s going to be soooo pretty/rustic/industrial/awesome!) before taking the kids to the skatepark (yes, the girls are now skateboarding too…too cute!) and painting a room or two at our house (is it nap time yet?). Wishing you all a sun-filled weekend like we’ll be having!
October 18, 2013 2 Comments
And here we are, it’s Friday again! This week bustled on by pretty quickly, which is a good thing because I must admit that I was in a bit of a funk. Nothing major, just feeling a little overwhelmed. Both my home and the store have a lot on the go and my list-loving-self gave up at some point and just had to roll with it. I’ll feel much better once our basement renos wrap up…it’s amazing how projects suddenly take over the entire house, isn’t it? It’s Brad’s birthday this weekend so we’re celebrating Thanksgiving with his family a week early (renos will be put on hold) and I’ll be cooking my first turkey dinner EVER! Admittedly, I’m a little freaked out but found a yummy (and simple-ish) looking brined turkey recipe in the latest House & Home magazine and will start prepping it today. Nothing to it but to do it, as my hubby would say! Before I head into the kitchen, here are five of my favourite links this week:
1. Loving absolutely everything that the girls over at Spread Love Events did with this West Coast inspired wedding shoot:
2. I’ve really been trying to eat well but dang, these look good:
3. My love of nautical + paint-by-number collide in this amazing kids room:
4. We’ll be needing a new living room couch once our basement TV room is finished and I can’t help but be drawn to navy blue ones like this:
5. It’s getting chilly but Fall camping sure would be fun! Loving this DIY camp mug candle:
Off I go to brine my turkey (can’t say I’ve ever uttered those words out loud…) so wish me luck and have a wonderful weekend :)
October 4, 2013 6 Comments