Category — Art
Hey, there! This week has already been chugging along at a fine pace and the school district decided to throw in some half days and a Pro-D (just to spice things up!) so the next few days will be even more of a juggling act. So it goes sometimes but, thankfully, I’ve got family and friends to help me out with the kids in a pinch and Brad will be home this weekend so I’m confident that my daily grind will be eased somewhat by next week. Thank God! It’s been a loooong month. Anyway, onto more exciting things, like a little peek inside one of my all-time favourite designers, Emily Henderson‘s, gorgeous home in Los Angeles. It was featured in Domino last month and is absolutely everything I would have expected and then some. Be sure to check out both Domino and Emily’s blog for many more great photos and details on the furniture and decor throughout. Come take a look:
I just love how clean and curated Emily’s family home is. Everything looks intentional, there because it’s loved or has meaning, and although it’s packed with stylish finds it doesn’t feel cluttered or “trendy” in the least. Full of personality, mid-century bones and an eclectic mix of old + new make it a definite win in my books! Hope you’re having a great week so far :)
October 22, 2014 0 Comments
Boom. Just like that, another week bites the dust! Anyone else wish that time would slow down just a tad this Fall? My days are full (we’re talking full) to the brim with kids/work/driving/life and I’m definitely counting down these final 8 days until Brad gets home from the wilds of Manitoba! Here’s a little roundup of some links I’ve loved this week but I didn’t quite make it to the usual 5 for Friday as I ran out of steam by number 3 ;)
1. I love everything about this gallery wall and eclectic bedroom spotted over at The Everygirl yesterday:
2. Um, how flipping adorable is this Maria costume?!? I love The Sound of Music (I mean, who doesn’t) and think this is the most darling idea ever. See how to make this cutie and an astounding amount of other sweet costumes over at Oh Happy Day:
3. I’ve wanted to make homemade caramels forever (I think since reading about Laura making pulled taffy in The Little House on the Prairie books when I was little…anyone else remember that?) but never have for some reason. These salted butter confections look too decadently delicious not to try:
Salted Caramel Caramels | A Beautiful Mess | Photo by Emma Chapman
Any exciting plans for the weekend happening out there? Mine’s looking fairly quiet, other than being surrounded by my brood, but it’s always a treat to take a break from the schooldays routine and put my feet up…like, before 9pm ;) Cheers to the weekend!
October 17, 2014 0 Comments
I’m feeling a little bit under the weather with a cold but the slim silver lining of some sniffle-induced downtime has been catching up on my stack of design mags and some favourite blogs. As someone with a blog, it’s kind of ironic how few blogs I actually read myself these days. After being on the computer for much of the day for work, it seems far easier to scroll through my favourite bloggers on Instagram instead…instant gratification, I suppose? I’ve noticed this shift in my own habits for awhile (and it’s also been a topic of discussion with my Spruce partners) so I found this NY Times article especially interesting while browsing last night. I’m a little late to the conversation (ironic since I was on my own blogging break when the article came out!) but can totally relate to both blogger-burnout and creative burnout in general. There were some really great responses to the article from some of the bloggers featured (here, here and here) but I’m curious to know what your thoughts on the shift in social media are. Have your own online habits changed recently? Please share…
Photo by Luisa Brimble for Local Milk
Brunswick Cafe, Brooklyn NY via Remodelista
These spaces have nothing to do with blogging except for the fact that they inspire me…which is the whole reason I started this little blog with Rachel so many moons ago :)
October 8, 2014 0 Comments
Hey, friends! We’re heading into the final long weekend of Summer and I must admit I’m not happy about it. I feel like we just got into our beach-touring groove and then suddenly the days got shorter and the evenings got cooler…noooo! Like all good things, even Summer must end but I won’t give up our beach days without a fight. We’re heading out for a weekend of camping with friends tomorrow (or the next day, weather dependant) and I’m still overly optimistic that the soggy forecast is wrong…the sun will burn off those huge clouds, right? Still no word if school is starting next week as teachers have been on strike since June, (ugh!) which is leaving us in somewhat of a limbo. Love our teachers but the kiddos have been home long enough. Seriously. But onto brighter things, these beauties caught my eye this week because, I mean, how could they not?!
1. I immediately downloaded this awesome desktop theme from Design Love Fest as soon as I saw it. Can you tell I’m ready to get back to work?
2. Red Envelope sent me this awesome dipped serving bowl and matching utensils as a housewarming present and it’s been a bright spot on our table all summer! It also comes in an amazing emerald green colour and is on mega sale right now…check it out here:
3. We’ve been in the height of wedding season with our Spruce Vintage Rentals division of the shop so I’m always on the lookout for fresh event inspiration and this floral chandelier is seriously the bomb…love!!
4. I’m beyond thrilled (and entirely envious of her talents, in a good way!) that my partner Jessica just launched an amazing line of illustrated prints in her shiny new shop, Acorn Atelier. I need one of each, no joke!
5. I’ll need a good detox after this summer of fun but the good news is that it’s technically summer for a few more weeks and this cocktail looks divine…bottoms up ;)
Do you have big plans for this last Labour Day hurrah? Enjoy, be safe and cheers to the freakin’ weekend…I’ll drink to that ;)
* Disclaimer : I was gifted this beautiful serving bowl set from Red Envelope but all opinions are my own…and always will be :)
August 29, 2014 1 Comment
Hello again! I’m back, just in time for the weekend…perfect timing ;) We had an awesome time away at our friends’ island cabin last weekend but it’s been back to real life/work/kids this week. Coming back from holidays is always a bit of a downer, right? It’s been raining too, which hasn’t helped, but there’s sunshine in the forecast and I’m hoping to sit lakeside/riverside/poolside somewhere (anywhere!) with the kiddos over the next few days. I’d also like to finally unpack the last of our moving boxes because our empty walls are starting to feel a little scary. Not sure what my deal is this time ’round (seriously, it’s been over 2 months since we moved in!) but it’s high time I break out of my decorating slump and get this show on the road! These impressive makeovers did help me feel some motivation this week:
1. Jordan’s dining room makeover makes a solid argument for painting out wood, beautiful though it may be:Dining Room Makeover | Oh Happy Day | Photo by Paul Ferney
2. I love everything about this black + white bathroom renovation, especially the floors:29th Ave Bathroom Makeover | Capree Kimball via Poppytalk
3. This desert patio space is simply made for entertaining:Patio Makeover | A House in the Hills
5. My Instagram feed was full of this incredible space, Lombardi House, last night. It’s a new event venue in Hollywood (naturally)…so amazing!Lombardi House
5. Dana’s mudroom turned dining/laundry/everything room is the perfect combination of form meets function for busy family living:Mudroom Makeover | House Tweaking
Any projects or home renos in your future? Or are you putting them off like I am? Summer’s a tough one…sometimes it’s just easier to pour another cocktail than it is to hang a picture, just sayin’! Cheers to the weekend :)
July 25, 2014 3 Comments